What do you do with an old shipping container once it’s reached the end of its life? Simple: You turn it into an eco-friendly house. While shipping container houses are popping up across the world, most are fixed installs. Ecopods, on the other hand, are designed to be a bit more portable so you can take them with you when you move. In fact, Ecopods are perfect for a vacation home.
What is an Ecopod?An Ecopod is a prefabricated house made out of an old shipping container. The Toronto-based company managed to turn the used shipping container into a bastion of recycled goodness that is also safe, secure and homey.
Eco-interiorsThe primary ingredient, so to speak, in an Ecopod is a recycled shipping container. However, the company doesn’t stop there, and focuses on the use of environmentally responsible or recycled content throughout. Here’s a list of some of the eco-friendly interior products used:
- Flooring made of post-consumer tire rubber
- Paperless interior walls made with magnesium oxide compounds (MagnesiaCore)
- Interior wall finish that increases the pod’s insulation factor
- Soy-based insulation
- An optional SUN-MAR composting toilet
- A watermill that can provide your drinking water